Denise Beaudin

Above: Denise, circa 1981


Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

  • Missing Since: November 26, 1981 from Goffstown, New Hampshire
  • Classification: Endangered Missing
  • Age: 23 years old
  • Height and Weight: 5'4 - 5'6, 120 - 140 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Denise has an overbite.
  • Bar

    Details of Disappearance

    Denise was last seen on November 26, 1981, when she and her boyfriend, Robert T. "Bob" Evans, went to eat Thanksgiving dinner with her family in Goffstown, New Hampshire. On December 1, Denise's family went to visit her at her home in the 900 block of Hayward Street in Manchester, New Hampshire. Denise lived there with Evans and her six-month-old daughter, Dawn. No one was home when her parents stopped by, and Denise's family never heard from her again. Because the couple had been having financial problems, Denise's family initially assumed they'd left on their own.

    Photos of Evans are posted below this case summary. Investigators stated he used numerous aliases throughout his life; Robert Evans is probably not his real name. He also gave multiple dates of birth, ranging between 1936 and 1952. During his life he lived in New Hampshire, California and Idaho, and he told people he had attended schoool in Phoenix, Arizona as a child and had lived in as many as twelve states, including Texas, Virginia, Hawaii and Georgia, as well as the province of Quebec in Canada. He typically stayed in campgrounds, trailer parks and motels. He may have served in the Navy in the 1970s and may have been an alcoholic. He spoke English, sometimes with a Southern or East Coast accent, was fluent in French, and may have also spoken Spanish, Chinese and Arabic.

    Evans surfaced in New Hampshire in 1977, working as an electrician at the Waumbec Mill in Manchester. He appeared to be in his late twenties or early thirties at the time. He was a skilled electrician and mechanic, but became violent under the influence of alcohol. In 1980, he was arrested in New Hampshire and listed his spouse as Elizabeth Evans, but investigators don't know who that is.

    Authorities believe Evans was responsible for the murders of a woman and three female children whose bodies were found in a wooded area near Bear Brook State Park in Allenstown, New Hampshire. A hunter found the bodies of the adult woman and one of the children in a 55-gallon metal barrel in 1985. In 2000, authorities found a second barrel nearby with the other two children inside it. All the bodies were wrapped in plastic and electrical wiring. Sketches of the victims are posted below this case summary; they have never been identified. They all died at the same time, probably between 1977 and 1985.

    The woman was probably in her twenties, 5'2 to 5'8 tall, with light brown hair. The oldest girl was between five and eleven years old with light brown or blonde wavy hair. Another girl was between one and three years old, with light brown or blonde wavy hair and a large gap between her two upper front teeth. DNA proved these two girls were maternally related to the woman, and isotope tests showed they had all probably had been living in New Hampshire or a nearby state for several years prior to their murders. The third child was between two and four years old, with wavy brown hair and an overbite that may have been noticeable. She wasn't genetically related to the woman and the other children. Isotope tests indicate she was probably born in a sparsely populated area of the interior western United States or one of the Plains States, and she may have been of Native American ancestry.

    Between 1984 and 1986, Evans was living in Los Alamitos and Cypress, California, using the name Curtis Mayo Kimball. (He had stolen the real Curtis Kimball's identity in La Porte, Texas.) He had a five-year-old girl named Lisa, whom he said was his daughter. He said her mother was dead. A woman claims she baby-sat for Lisa and a six-month-old girl in 1984 and 1985, when Evans was living in Anaheim, California; he claimed he was the father of both of them and raising them alone. Investigators believe he may have killed the infant, who has not been identified. In the summer of 1985, Evans left Lisa in the care of a married couple he knew and dropped out of sight. She was placed in foster care and adopted a short time later. In 1986, felony arrest warrants were issued for Evans under the alias name Gordon Curtis Jenson. He was living in a trailer park in Scotts Valley, California at the time.

    In 1988, Evans was arrested in San Luis Obispo, California, under the name Gerald E. Mockerman; police caught him driving a car that had been stolen from Preston, Idaho. Fingerprints identified him as Gordon Jenson and he was charged with child abandonment and child molestation; the victim in both instances was Lisa. Evans pleaded guilty to abandonment and was sentenced to three years in prison; the molestation charge was dropped because Lisa's adoptive parents didn't want her to have to testify against him in court. He was paroled in 1990 after serving one year, and immediately disappeared again. Investigators have little knowledge of his actions over the next twelve years.

    In 2001, Evans married Eunsoon Jun, a Korean immigrant, in Richmond, California, under the name Lawrence William Vanner. The marriage was not legally binding. A photograph of Jun is posted below this case summary. Within a year he had killed her, partially dismembered her body and buried it under the basement of her home. In 2003, he pleaded guilty to her murder and was sentenced to fifteen years to life in prison. He died there in 2010.

    Beginning in 2003, authorities began trying to identify Lisa; they had determined Evans was not her father. In 2014, they entered her DNA into an online database to connect her with her biological relatives. In 2016, the database linked her to a cousin of Denise's, and Lisa was able to confirm that she was Denise Beaudin's daughter and her real name was Dawn. She has no memories of her mother. It was only after Lisa's identity was confirmed that authorities made the connection between Evans and the four unidentified Allenstown victims. He did some work for the man who owned the land where the unidentified victims were found, and in October 2016, authorities determined he was the biological father of the middle-aged child, the one who wasn't related to the other three victims. Investigators determined the unidentified woman was not Denise. But based on Evans's criminal profile, authorities believe he knew the other three victims, although he was not related to them. They also think he may have killed the mother of his unidentified daughter.

    Authorities believe Evans probably killed Denise somewhere between New Hampshire and California. She was not listed as a missing person until 2016. Her case remains unsolved.

    Evans in 1985 Evans in 1990 Evans in 2002
    Left: Robert Evans, circa 1985;
    Center: Robert Evans, circa 1990;
    Right: Robert Evans, circa 2002

    Unidentified Woman Unidentified Oldest Girl
    Unidentified Toddler 1 Unidentified Toddler 2 Jun
    Top Left: Unidentified woman;
    Top Right: Unidentified girl, age 5 - 11;
    Bottom Left: Unidentified girl, age 2 - 4;
    Bottom Center: Unidentified girl, age 1 - 3;
    Bottom Right: Eunsoon Jun


    Investigating Agency
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
    Manchester Police Department



    Source Information
    WCSH 6
    Concord Patch
    Manchester Ink Link
    The New Hampshire Union Leader
    WFXT Fox 25
    The Idaho State Journal
    The Boston Herald
    The Boston Globe


    Updated 4 times since October 12, 2004.

    Last updated May 21 2017; details of disappearance updated.

    Charley Project Home