Vincent Moore

1 2 3 4
Above Images: Vincent, circa 2015


Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

  • Missing Since: July 11, 2015 from Wichita, Kansas
  • Classification: Endangered Missing
  • Date of Birth: March 3, 2015
  • Age: 4 months old
  • Height and Weight: 1'0, 14 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: African-American male. Black hair, brown eyes.
  • Bar

    Details of Disappearance

    Vincent was last seen leaving his father's house near 31st Street South and Hydraulic in Wichita, Kansas in the early morning hours of July 11, 2015. He was accompanied by his father, Gary McKensey Moore Jr., at the time. Gary was carrying a blue and black floral-print diaper bag. A photo of a similar bag is posted below this case summary. Vincent has never been heard from again.

    On June 5, Vincent's mother, Michelle Mendez, dropped Vincent and his two-year-old brother off for a visit with their father. Gary took both children to Texas sometime in mid- to late June, and they stayed there until July 9, then returned to Wichita. During this time, Mendez made repeated attempts to get in touch with Gary and see the children, but she was unable to reach them, so at the end of the month she notified police. Gary was arrested at a traffic stop in Wichita on July 29, eighteen days after Vincent was last seen. He had Vincent's brother with him, but not Vincent. Gary claimed he gave Vincent back to Mendez, but Mendez says he did not and she doesn't know her infant son's whereabouts. She passed a polygraph in the case.

    A photo of Gary is posted below this case summary. In 2014, he was sentenced to probation for misdemeanor battery on Vincent's mother. He was ordered to pay court costs, report to a probation officer, wear a GPS tracking device on his ankle, and have no contact with Mendez. In August 2015, Moore was sentenced to a year in jail for violating his probation: he had failed to pay his court costs, he cut off his tracking device before he traveled to Texas, and he had also married Mendez in February 2015, in violation of the no-contact order. In May 2016, he pleaded guilty to tampering with electronic monitoring equipment and was sentenced to additional time in prison.

    According to court documents, Mendez was concerned for the safety of their children when they were in Gary's care. She filed for a protective order on June 18, two weeks after she last saw her sons. In her application she wrote that Gary had "never intentionally hurt" Vincent and his brother, but stated Gary was "rougher than he intends to be" and that he tried to use the children to control her. She said she thought it was "only a matter of time" before he hurt them. In August 2015, Kansas Department of Child Protective Services (DCF) removed Vincent's brother from Mendez's custody and placed him in foster care. At a child-in-need-of-care (CINC) hearing held in October, DCF officials said there was "clear and convincing evidence that Vincent is deceased."

    Vincent's relatives have criticized the police investigation, saying they don't think authorities are trying hard enough to find Vincent. No one has faced any charges in connection with his disappearance; it remains unsolved.

    Gary Moore Diaper bag
    Left: Gary Moore, circa 2015;
    Right: Diaper bag


    Investigating Agency
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
    Wichita Police Department


    Source Information
    The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
    The Wichita Eagle
    Facebook Page for Vincent Moore


    Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004.

    Last updated July 13, 2016; casefile added.

    Charley Project Home