Cary Daniel Sayegh

1 AP
Left: Cary, circa 1978;
Right: Age-progression to age 40 (circa 2011)


Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

  • Missing Since: October 25, 1978 from Las Vegas, Nevada
  • Classification: Non-Family Abduction
  • Date Of Birth: November 12, 1971
  • Age: 6 years old
  • Height and Weight: 4'2, 65 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian male. Brown hair, brown eyes. Cary has a small scar on the right side of his forehead near his hairline. He was born with three extra toes on each foot and had them surgically removed at age three months, with resulting scarring. He had a gap between his upper front teeth at the time of his disappearance.
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description: Brown pants, brown leather shoes, and a white t-shirt with "Las Vegas Quicksilvers" imprinted on the front.
  • Bar

    Details of Disappearance

    Cary was last seen in the playground area of the Albert Einstein Hebrew Day School in the 1600 block of east Oakley Boulevard in Las Vegas, Nevada on October 25, 1978. Sayegh's classmates told authorities that he entered an unidentified vehicle on the school's property during their lunchtime recess. Cary has never been heard from again. Cary's father, Sol Sayegh, and mother, Marilyn Sayegh, received a ransom call from a male individual three hours after his son disappeared. The man demanded $500,000 for Cary's return, then claimed he would call again in two days with instructions as to how the ransom should be paid. The individual never contacted the family again.

    Authorities quickly ruled out all of Cary's family members as suspects in his case. They believed one of Cary's father's former employees was responsible for his son's disappearance and the ransom call. Jerald Howard "Jerry" Burgess was eventually convicted of the sexual assault on a woman at the Albert Einstein Hebrew Day School. The attack had taken place the week before Sayegh vanished from the same locale. Several of Cary's classmates identified Burgess as the man driving the vehicle Cary entered the day of his disappearance. Burgess said he was there, but only to deliver a lunch to his girlfriend's son who was a friend of Cary's. Other witnesses identified Burgess's voice as that of the ransom caller. He told investigators the location of one of Sayegh's shoes off Mohave Road in Las Vegas, but claimed that the child's abductors gave him the information when he acted as a go-between with them and Cary's family. Burgess maintained his innocence in Cary's case.

    In 1982, Burgess was charged with kidnapping Cary. He claimed that he believed Cary was alive and residing in Israel after his trial, but he failed to provide evidence to support his statement. A jury acquitted him of all charges, citing a lack of evidence implicating him.

    Burgess was arrested in October 2000 after he sold an illegal weapon to an undercover agent. As a convicted felon, he is legally forbidden to possess any kind of firearm or ammunition. During the preceeding 18-month investigation into his criminal activities, Burgess also allegedly offered to dispose of a body near the location of Cary's supposed grave. Burgess claimed that he could weld the body into a steel drum, and reportedly said he had killed Cary and disposed of his remains in that way in 1978. Burgess rented welding equipment several days before Cary disappeared. He has not faced additional charges in Cary's case, but he was convicted of the firearms charges and sentenced to eleven years in prison.

    Cary's father, Sol Sayegh, was under indictment for conspiracy to bribe a public official at the time Cary disappeared. Prosecutors dropped the charges against him after Cary's abduction, but his alleged co-conspirators were convicted. Sol owned a successful carpet business at the time of his son's abduction. He sold it in the 1990s and amassed $7.2 million in gambling debts to local casinos. Facing serious criminal charges from bounced checks, Sol fled from the United States to Israel in 1999. He eventually returned and reached a settlement with the casinos, and the criminal complaints against him were dropped. Sol has since divorced from Marilyn, and still lives in Las Vegas.

    Authorities said that they received a tip that Cary was living in Boston, Massachusetts in the 1990s. His case was reopened in 1999. Investigators continue to believe that he was the victim of foul play and are still searching for his remains. Burgess remains the prime suspect in Cary's disappearance. His abduction is unsolved.


    Investigating Agency
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
    Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department


    Source Information
    The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
    Child Protection Education Of America
    The Las Vegas Review-Journal
    California Attorney General's Office


    Updated 3 times since October 12, 2004.

    Last updated July 15, 2012; age-progression updated.

    Charley Project Home