Larry Wayne Perry

Larry, circa 1979; Michael Carl George

  • Missing Since 05/22/1979
  • Missing From Dumfries, Virginia
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Age 9 years old
  • Height and Weight 4'9, unknown eight
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description Brown or rust-colored pants, blue and yellow sneakers and a light blue pullover t-shirt with blue sleeves, yellow trim and a Superman logo.
  • Medical Conditions Larry is moderately mentally disabled.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, brown eyes.

Details of Disappearance

Larry was last seen in Dumfries, Virginia on May 22, 1979. His parents were divorced and he lived in a trailer with his maternal grandparents. He ate supper at home and left at approximately 8:00 p.m. He was last seen chasing a four-wheeler down a dirt road near his grandparents' trailer shortly thereafter. He has never been heard from again.

His disappearance was reported at midnight. An extensive search of the area turned up no sign of him. Larry's grandmother described him as a very friendly and likeable child with a very trusting nature.

Within a day of of Larry's disappearance, police questioned Michael Carl George, whose vehicle Larry was chasing before he disappeared. A photo of George is posted with this case summary. At first, he denied having spoken to Larry the evening of the child's disappearance.

In August 1982, however, he changed his story. George told police he'd gone target shooting and Larry followed him to the site. He said he set his pistol down on the hood of his truck and went to replace the targets, and Larry shot himself in the chest while his back was turned.

George claimed he panicked, dragged Larry's body into a ravine and covered it with branches and leaves. He led investigators to the ravine, but the child's body couldn't be found.

George was indicted for first-degree murder and other charges relating to Larry's death. His only prior conviction was for shoplifting.

Authorities did not believe his story about how Larry met his death, but they didn't think they could prove a murder case. He pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter and abduction and served just two and a half years in prison. He was released in 1986.

George was later convicted in the 1990 abduction, torture and murder of fifteen-year-old Alexander Eugene Sztanko. He claimed to have murdered an unidentified third victim as well, but this has never been confirmed. He was executed in 1997.

Larry has never been located, but foul play is suspected in his case due to the circumstances involved.

Investigating Agency

  • Prince William County Police Department 703-792-7200

Updated 2 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated May 1, details of disappearance updated.