Jeremy James Grice

Jeremy, circa 1985; Age-progression to age 34 (circa 2015); William Ernest Downs

  • Missing Since 11/21/1985
  • Missing From North Augusta, South Carolina
  • Classification Non-Family Abduction
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 05/12/1981 (38)
  • Age 4 years old
  • Height and Weight 3'8 - 4'0, 40 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description Pajamas or jeans and a t-shirt, and no shoes or socks.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Blond hair, hazel eyes. Jeremy has moles on his scalp and behind his left earlobe. His nickname is Chris.

Details of Disappearance

Jeremy resided in a mobile home on Miller Street in the Bath area of North Augusta, South Carolina in 1985. He lived with his mother and stepfather at the time. Before his mother left for work, she checked his bedroom. She didn't actually see him, but the blankets on his bed were pulled up and she assumed he was asleep.

A neighbor saw Jeremy standing by the mailbox outside of his family's home near their mailbox. He had his bicycle with him and appeared be waiting for the school bus, but he didn't have school that day.

Jeremy's disappearance wasn't discovered until 10:00 a.m. His stepfather, who had been watching him after his mother went to work, never saw or heard anything suspicious. The weather on that day was cold and rainy. Extensive air and ground searches were unsuccessful.

Investigators also drained two local ponds in an effort to uncover evidence as to Jeremy's whereabouts, but nothing was located. Authorities believe he was abducted by a non-family member. His case remains unsolved.

Child serial killer William Ernest Downs was questioned in Jeremy's case and also in the case of Tiffany Nelson, a nine-year-old girl who disappeared from Augusta, Georgia in June 1994. Her remains were found in June 2005.

A photo of Downs is posted with this case summary. He denies knowledge of both cases, and he would have been only a teenager at the time Jeremy disappeared. He has never been charged in connection with either Jeremy's disappearance or Nelson's murder, and authorities are uncertain whether he was involved.

Jeremy's family believes he was abducted by someone from the local neighborhood and did not wander away from home. They stated he enjoyed riding his four-wheeler in 1985. His case remains unsolved.

Updated 9 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated October 5, 2015; age-progression added.