The Charley Project began as the Missing Persons Cold Case Network (MPCCN), which was founded in 2001 by Jennifer Marra. It was designed as a publicity vehicle for cold cases of missing people. (Jennifer Marra had also founded The Doe Network.) She resigned from the MPCCN and turned control in December 2003 over to Meaghan Good. Meaghan ran it until March 2004, when it was attacked by hackers and had to be taken offline. Meaghan founded The Charley Project in October 2004; it contains much of the content of the former MPCCN.
Timeline of Important Additions:
- October 12, 2004: Charley Project founded.
- January 28, 2005: Alphabetical indexes of cases added.
- January 31, 2005: Criteria for case inclusion added.
- March 23, 2005: Linking banners added.
- March 25, 2005: Recommended books added.
- April 1, 2005: Chronological indexes of cases added.
- December 16, 2008: Charley Project Blog created.
- September 2009: Charley Project Twitter feed created.
- March 16, 2012: Charley Project Facebook account created.