Leonard Neal Dirickson

Dirickson, circa 1998; Sketch of the unidentified man last seen with Dirickson

  • Missing Since 03/14/1998
  • Missing From Strong City, Oklahoma
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Date of Birth 07/25/1958 (60)
  • Age 39 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'10, 200 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A faded hooded black coat, green jeans, brown/black hiking boots and a green-billed brown cap with Acco Feeds imprinted on the front.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, gray eyes. Dirickson had a handlebar mustache at the time of his 1998 disappearance. His nickname is Lenny.

Details of Disappearance

Dirickson was last seen at his farmhouse in Strong City, Oklahoma on March 14, 1998. His son told authorities that an unidentified Caucasian male arrived at Dirickson's home during the day.

The individual drove a white 1994 Ford F-150 extended cab pickup truck with a yellow tag on the vehicle's front end. The vehicle may have had New Mexico license plates. A sketch of the man is posted with this case summary.

Dirickson's son said that his father told him the man wanted to view a horse he had for sale. He claimed they planned to travel to Elk City, Oklahoma and Mobeetie, Texas during the day. Dirickson said that they would return to the farm later in the evening. Neither Dirickson nor the man have been heard from again.

Dirickson never advertised that he had a horse for sale. Investigators believe that the presumed buyer knew him beforehand. Authorities do not know if the unidentified man was involved in his disappearance.

Dirickson's son said the possible suspect had a full reddish-brown beard and wore a cap when he drove to the farm. He was approximately 41 years old in 1998. The man was 6'2 tall and about 210 pounds. He was apparently right-handed and smoked Marlboro Lights cigarettes.

There have been two reported sightings of Dirickson since his 1998 disappearance. A server at The Kettle Restaurant in Elk City told authorities that a man resembling Dirickson stopped at the eatery at approximately 11:00 a.m. on March 14.

Investigators believe that the employee may have confused Dirickson with another individual. He had breakfast at home prior to his disappearance and Dirickson's family members said it was uncharacteristic of him to eat again shortly afterwards.

Authorities also received a phone call from an unidentified man in an Amarillo, Texas bar six months after Dirickson vanished. The caller claimed that he was seated next to Dirickson in the establishment. Both the caller and the man thought to be Dirickson had disappeared by the time investigators arrived on the scene. Neither of these sightings has been confirmed.

Dirickson was left in debt after his 1996 divorce. His family members said he was very close to his son and would never voluntarily leave on his own. Authorities believe that foul play may have been involved in Dirickson's disappearance, but there is little evidence to support any theory.

Investigating Agency

  • Oklahoma State Bureau Of Investigation 800-522-8017

. .