Akia Shawnta Eggleston
Eggleston, circa 2017; Tattoo on Eggleston's back; Andre Michael Robertson
- Missing Since 05/03/2017
- Missing From Baltimore, Maryland
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race Black
- Date of Birth 09/06/1994 (28)
- Age 22 years old
- Height and Weight 4'8 - 4'11, 130 - 145 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A green shirt, a black jacket with gray sleeves, black and white yoga pants and black sneakers.
- Medical Conditions Eggleston was eight months pregnant with a boy at the time of her disappearance. It was a high-risk pregnancy and the baby was breech; she was supposed to be on bed rest, and was going to have a Caesarean section.
- Distinguishing Characteristics African-American female. Black hair, brown eyes. Eggleston's ears are pierced. She has a tattoo of cherries on her left shoulder blade and a tattoo of building blocks and the name "Emery" on her upper left arm. A photo of the cherries tattoo is posted with this case summary.
Details of Disappearance
Eggleston was last seen in Baltimore, Maryland on May 3, 2017. She went to the bank that day and withdrew over $500 in cash, an unusual amount for her. The bank was three miles from Eggleston's apartment in the 600 block of Cherrycrest Road. Inside the bank was the last time anyone saw her. She has never been heard from again.
She was reported missing on May 7, after she didn't arrive at her baby shower. When her family checked her apartment, everything was gone except her bed. The bedroom dresser was gone, as were all of Eggleston's clothes. It looked as if she had moved out, but her family questioned her physical ability to do so, given her high-risk pregnancy; they stated they could barely even walk.
Eggleston's family didn't learn the identity of her unborn baby's father until after her disappearance; he is Andre "Michael" Robertson, a friend of the family. Although her family didn't believe Eggleston and Robertson were dating, Eggleston planned to move in with him and had told her best friend this. She said she planned to be out of her apartment by May 10.
She was close to her stepfather, aunt and grandmother; her mother had died of cancer years earlier. She had a two-year-old daughter from a prior relationship and stayed active during her pregnancy in spite of her doctor's orders that she stay in bed. She had placed a $900 deposit for her baby shower.
In February 2022, Robertson was arrested and charged with two counts of first-degree murder in connection with Eggleston's case: her murder and the murder of their unborn baby. Robertson was seeing at least one other woman and had multiple children already by the time his and Eggleston's baby was conceived, and may have not wanted to financially support another child.
Investigators think Robertson made Eggleston think they were about to move in together, but in fact the move was never intended to happen and was a ruse Robertson created to facilitate the murders. Authorities stated cellular phone data, financial records, social media messages and photographic evidence formed part of the case against him.
A photo of Robertson is posted with this case summary. Eggleston's body has never been located. It may have been taken to the Baltimore City landfill. Foul play is suspected in Eggleston's case due to the circumstances involved.
- Baltimore Police Department 443-984-7385
Updated 4 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated February 2, 2022; details of disappearance updated.