Alexander Edwin Shaw IV
Shaw, circa 1982
- Missing Since 03/15/1982
- Missing From Wagram, North Carolina
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Date of Birth 01/23/1959 (64)
- Age 23 years old
- Height and Weight 5'10 - 5'11, 140 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A white shirt and blue jeans.
- Associated Vehicle(s) Green 1972 Buick (accounted for)
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown/red hair, blue eyes. Shaw has a prominent Adam's Apple, and he has a history of recurring discoloration on his right knee. His blood type is O-positive. Shaw goes by his middle name, Edwin, and he may use the alias name John Sanders.
Details of Disappearance
Shaw's green 1972 Buick was found smashed into a pine tree off of Highway 40 in Wagram, North Carolina on March 15, 1982. There was no sign of him at the accident scene. The car keys were in the ignition and the headlights were turned on when investigators located the vehicle. The Wagram area had heavy rainfall pass through during the suspected time of Shaw's accident.
Two witnesses reported having seen Shaw walking along the highway south of Wagram the day after the car accident. He has never been heard from again. An extensive search of the area, involving the National Guard and the Army as well as local law enforcement, turned up no sign of him.
Shaw has been employed in theatre, mobile home service, broadcast advertising sales and industrial waste water plant operations. He is a distance runner and frequently donated blood to the American Red Cross prior to his 1982 disappearance. He is described as a casual dresser.
Investigators do not believe that he was carrying any identification or jewelry at the time of his disappearance. His father, who believed his son suffered a head injury in the accident and developed amnesia, died in 2010. Shaw's case remains unsolved.
- Scotland County Sheriff's Department 910-276-3385
- North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation 910-829-6309
Updated 3 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated April 4, 2013; details of disappearance updated.