Alicia Guzman Padilla

Alicia, circa 1985; Nilsa Padilla-Guzman; Jorge Nunez

  • Missing Since 01/09/1985
  • Missing From Miami, Florida
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race Hispanic
  • Date of Birth 07/04/1982 (42)
  • Age 2 years old
  • Height and Weight 2'10, 35 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Hispanic female. Black hair, brown eyes. Alicia may use the last name Padilla-Guzman. She is of Puerto Rican descent.

Details of Disappearance

Alicia was last seen at her home in Miami, Florida sometime in early 1985. She and her mother, Nilsa Padilla-Guzman, disappeared within a few weeks of each other. A photo of of Nilsa is posted with this case summary. Gloria Hampton and Bernisa Davis, Nilsa's older daughters, reported their mother and sister missing in 2010.

At the time Nilsa and Alicia disappeared, the family was living in a camper on Key Biscayne with Nilsa's boyfriend, who was Gloria's and Alicia's father. They knew him as Rafael Guzman and thought he was Puerto Rican, but his true name was Jorge Walter Nunez and he was from Peru.

Nilsa and Nunez abused drugs and alcohol frequently and the children often didn't get enough to eat. Both Gloria and Bernisa stated they were physically and sexually abused by Nunez on a regular basis.

In the spring of 1985, the two sisters claim, Bernisa told her mother about the sexual abuse. Nilsa confronted Nunez about it, and Nunez responded by beating her to death.

Bernisa and Gloria witnessed the murder and said Nunez put their mother's body in a green bag afterwards. He tried to make Gloria and Bernisa dig a grave for their mother, but the girls were unable to, so he dismembered the corpse and said he was going to take it out to sea. The homicide was not reported at the time.

A few weeks after Nilsa's murder, according to Gloria and Bernisa, Nunez struck Alicia on the head after she was unable to finish eating her breakfast one morning. She was either knocked unconscious or killed by the blow, and Nunez carried her out of the camper van. Her sisters never saw Alicia again and assumed she had also been murdered.

On April 4, 1985, Nilsa's torso was found in a green garbage bag on a beach in Miami. Over the next few weeks her head, one leg and one of her thighs were also recovered.

Gloria, who had been four years old at the time of her mother's death, went to police several times over the intervening years, but it wasn't until 2010 that authorities took her seriously, and Nilsa's body wasn't identified until 2012.

Another body, a man's, was found near Nilsa's at around the same time; it has never been identified. There has been no indication of Alicia's whereabouts.

A photo of Nunez is posted with this case summary. In the years following 1985, he lost custody of Bernisa and Gloria and was ultimately convicted of sexual abuse. He served time in prison and was released in 1993. In 2004, he was deported to his native Peru.

Nunez has been charged with second-degree murder, and there is an extradition order in place for if he is located outside the United States. His current whereabouts are unknown and authorities aren't even certain whether he's still alive, but it's possible he could have returned to the U.S. under an alias name.

Alicia's sisters went to live with a foster family and changed their names after Nunez's conviction. They continue to hope for closure in their mother's murder and sister's presumed death.

Updated 2 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated June 17, 2022; details of disappearance updated.