Amanda Rae Carroll
Amanda, circa 2000
- Missing Since 05/02/2000
- Missing From Flemington, New Jersey
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race White
- Date of Birth 05/20/1979 (44)
- Age 20 years old
- Height and Weight 5'6 - 5'7, 140 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A white t-shirt, blue jeans and gold rings.
- Medical Conditions Amanda was taking anti-depressant medication at the time of her disappearance.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Red hair, hazel eyes. Amanda has a tattoo of a sun and moon on her right ankle, and a floral pattern tattooed on the back of her neck. Her ears are pierced.
Details of Disappearance
Amanda was last heard from on May 2, 2000. She resided in a rented home on Greenwood Place in Flemington, New Jersey.
During the early morning hours she chatted on the internet with a friend from Texas about Amanda's plans to take her children and move to Arizona, the place of her birth, to live with her father. She was upbeat at the time and looking forward to the move. Amanda spoke to a Canadian friend on the phone before going to bed at 6:30 a.m. She has never been heard from again.
Amanda's husband, Matthew Carroll, a Marine Corps captain, was named as a suspect in her case several months after her disappearance. He and the couple's two young daughters were visiting his parents in New York on the day she was last heard from.
Amanda married Matthew when she was 16 years old. The relationship was reportedly happy until the family moved to New Jersey six months prior to her disappearance, at which point Amanda became depressed and decided to leave her husband and seek a divorce.
The police were called to their residence two days before her disappearance due to a domestic dispute, but no violence had occurred and no charges were filed.
Matthew has never been charged in Amanda's case and has stated he believes she left of her own accord, possibly with someone she met on the internet. Authorities have investigated all of her known internet acquaintances, however, and cleared them of involvement in her case. Her disappearance remains unsolved.
- Raritan Township Police Department 908-782-8889
Updated 3 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated August 7, 2006; medical conditions added, details of disappearance updated.