Amy Marie Yachimec
Amy, circa 1981; Raymond Diaz, circa 2018
- Missing Since 11/06/1981
- Missing From Phoenix, Arizona
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race White
- Date of Birth 02/24/1968 (55)
- Age 13 years old
- Height and Weight 5'3 - 5'4, 105 - 115 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A blue terrycloth short-sleeved shirt, maroon slacks, blue slip-on shoes, gold post-type earrings and a thin gold chain necklace.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, blue eyes. Amy's ears are pierced.
Details of Disappearance
Amy disappeared from apartment in the 3500 block of west Van Buren Street in Phoenix, Arizona on November 6, 1981. At 10:30 p.m., a 25-year-old neighbor, Raymond Diaz, and his 20-year-old girlfriend picked her up so she could go to a party. Amy woke up her twelve-year-old sister to invite her along, but she didn't want to go, and Amy left without her.
Later that night, Diaz and his girlfriend showed up at her parents' door to ask what was wrong. Diaz was naked at the time and his girlfriend had to get a blanket to wrap around him. Amy hadn't yet been reported missing at that time, and her family hadn't given any indication that there was anything wrong.
Diaz's cousin stated Diaz, his girlfriend and Amy were at the cousin's residence that night. Diaz wanted to have sex with Amy, but his cousin wouldn't allow it in the home and three of them left.
Amy has never been heard from again. Diaz was later convicted of kidnapping, sexual assault and other crimes, and is now in prison. His then-girlfriend now suffers from severe mental illness.
In October 2018, Diaz was charged with murder in first-degree murder in Amy's disappearance. Authorities stated DNA evidence linked him to the crime. A current photo of Diaz is posted with this case summary. He is awaiting trial.
Amy's body has never been found, but foul play is suspected in her case due to the circumstances involved.
- Maricopa County Sheriff's Department 602-256-1000
Updated 5 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated October 15, 2018; details of disappearance updated.