Andrea Jean Coyle

Coyle, circa 1978

  • Missing Since 12/19/1978
  • Missing From Altoona, Pennsylvania
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 03/13/1948 (76)
  • Age 30 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'4, 130 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A plaid Woolrich jacket, blue jeans, a tan knit cap and brown shoes.
  • Medical Conditions Coyle has a history of mental illness. She had a nervous breakdown in 1971, was hospitalized and received eight shock treatments. In 1973, she attempted suicide. Her sister stated she was functional as long as she took her psychiatric medication.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Coyle's nickname is Andi. Her married name, which she didn't use, is Duree. Her ears are pierced.

Details of Disappearance

Coyle was last seen on December 19, 1978. She was living with her grandparents in the 700 block of east Sixth Street in Bellwood, Pennsylvania at the time. She left home at 8:00 a.m. and went to the Woodrow Wilson Adult Learning School in Altoona, Pennsylvania, where she was a student. She went there to turn in her textbooks and collect her grades.

Coyle left the school sometime prior to noon and has never been heard from again. She never picked up her grades. She took all her cash with her, but left behind her identification.

Coyle's sister stated Coyle never fully recovered from her 1971 nervous breakdown. The hospital she stayed in during that time gave her a course of electroconvulsive therapy, which her sister claims "destroyed" her mentally.

In 1972 or 1973, Coyle got married. She tried to take her own life in September 1973, and her husband packed up her belongings and sent her home to her parents. She hitchhiked all over the country afterwards, and her family heard from her at intervals of months.

Coyle served in the U.S. Amy from September 1974 to February 1975, when she was discharged on medical grounds. In 1976, she was arrested for a petty crime in Washington D.C., and committed to a hospital, where she stayed from August to October 1976.

She was placed on probation; the probation was completed around the time of her disappearance. At the time of her disappearance, Coyle was being treated on a voluntary basis in the psychiatric ward of Altoona Hospital.

Coyle frequently hitchhiked with truck drivers in 1978. She traveled all around the country and usually only contacted her family every four to six months. She may be traveling across the eastern United States, but authorities believe she's probably deceased.

Investigating Agency

  • Pennsylvania State Police 814-696-6100

Updated 5 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated December 28, 2012; picture added.