Andrew Blaine Compton

Compton, circa 2010; Gregory O'Bryan

  • Missing Since 10/28/2010
  • Missing From Louisville, Kentucky
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 02/17/1992 (32)
  • Age 18 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'8, 125 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A hooded Aeropostale sweatshirt, a blue/gray v-neck shirt with a graphic design, light khaki shorts, white socks and a brown belt.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, brown eyes. Compton has a surgical scar on his chest and a long scar on his left arm. His thumbs resemble his fingers. He wears eyeglasses.

Details of Disappearance

Compton was last seen in the 1600 block of Lucia Avenue near Bardstown Road of Louisville, Kentucky on October 28, 2010. He has never been heard from again.

He was a culinary arts student at Sullivan University at the time of his disappearance, and lived on campus in Gardiner Point Residence Hall. He left his dorm room undisturbed and didn't take a backpack or suitcase; he only had his cellular phone, mp3 player, and wallet.

Compton maintained regular contact with his parents in Carmel, Indiana and rarely went a day without speaking to them, but they haven't heard from him since he vanished. He hasn't accessed his bank account since his disappearance and his phone has been turned off.

Compton's mother described her son as very shy and stated he preferred online interaction. Authorities determined he go to know Gregory M. O'Bryan on a dating website earlier in 2010 and they met in person at 9:00 p.m. on the day he vanished.

A photo of O'Bryan is posted with this case summary. When interviewed by the police, he stated he and Compton bought alcohol, went to O'Bryan's apartment and had sexual intercourse. Compton then left on foot and O'Bryan says he never saw him again.

In November, less than two weeks after Compton's disappearance, O'Bryan was charged with Compton's murder, evidence tampering and abuse of a corpse. After police executed a search warrant on his home, he changed his story and stated Compton had "died during sex" and he had placed the body in a cardboard television box and dumped it in a garbage bin.

O'Bryan claimed Compton's death was an accident. He said both of them were under the influence of drugs and alcohol at the time, and suggested Compton had broken his neck. He admitted he had sex with the corpse three times over a two-day period before he put it in the dumpster, and also said he shredded Compton's credit cards and broke his cellular phone in order to leave "no trace" of him. Investigators found blood in several places in O'Bryan's apartment.

In July 2013, O'Bryan pleaded guilty to evidence tampering and abuse of a corpse and no contest to murder, in order to avoid a possible death sentence. He was sentenced to twenty-five years in prison and will be eligible for parole after serving about half his sentence.

Compton's body has never been found. Authorities believe it was taken to a southern Indiana landfill, but they don't believe his remains are recoverable and they are no longer actively searching for him.

Updated 3 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated October 20, 2019; picture added.