Barbara Ellen Brunson
Brunson, circa 2008
- Missing Since 08/04/2008
- Missing From Sumter, South Carolina
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race Black
- Age 66 years old
- Height and Weight 5'5, 140 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A brown and red shirt, blue jeans, red socks, black shoes and a purple scarf.
- Medical Conditions Brunson suffers from dementia, schizophrenia, hypertension and diabetes, and she is mildly mentally disabled.
- Distinguishing Characteristics African-American female. Black hair, brown eyes. Brunson has missing front teeth.
Details of Disappearance
Brunson was last seen in Sumter, North Carolina on August 4, 2008. She had been living at Greene's Residential Care Facility for about five years. That day she asked some staff for some hair products and said she'd wait for it on the porch, where residents of the facility often sat. She apparently walked away and has never been heard from again.
This was the fifth time in six months that Brunson had wandered away from the care facility; they had wanted to transfer her to a more secure facility, but there were no openings. The police didn't realize she was missing until twelve hours after she was last seen, and an extensive search turned up no sign of her. Few details are available in her case.
- Sumter Police Department 803-436-2700
- Sumter County Sheriff's Office 803-436-2014
Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated December 16, 2020; casefile added.