Benjamin Alan Eder
Benjamin, circa 2001
- Missing Since 12/11/2001
- Missing From Newport, Oregon
- Classification Lost/Injured Missing
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Date of Birth 03/22/1980 (43)
- Age 21 years old
- Height and Weight Height unknown, 160 - 200 pounds
- Associated Vehicle(s) 40-foot crabbing vessel called Nesika
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair. Benjamin's nickname is Ben.
Details of Disappearance
Benjamin was last seen aboard the 40-foot crabbing vessel Nesika on December 11, 2001. The boat capsized in the Pacific Ocean half a mile offshore, one mile west of Yaquina Head, and ran aground on Beverly Beach north of Newport, Oregon.
Four fishermen were lost: Eder, Steven Langlot, Robert Thompson and Jared Hamrick. Only Langlot's body was recovered; the other three men have never been found. They are presumed lost at sea.
Benjamin was a junior at the University of Oregon's Eugene campus at the time of his disappearance, double-majoring in biochemistry and international relations. He had previously studied at Reed College and had traveled extensively throughout the United States and Latin America.
Several members of his family are involved in commercial fishing and his mother, Michele Longo Eder, published a memoir after his death called Salt in Our Blood: The Memoir of a Fisherman's Wife.
Photographs of Thompson are unavailable. He was 40 years old at the time of his disappearance. Further descriptive details are unavailable.
- Oregon State Police 541-265-5354
Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated February 26, 2014; casefile added.