Brenda Joan Szabo
Szabo, circa 1983
- Missing Since 10/01/1983
- Missing From San Diego County, California
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race White
- Date of Birth 11/19/1949 (73)
- Age 33 years old
- Height and Weight 5'4, 120 pounds
- Medical Conditions Szabo has a history of drug abuse.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Light brown hair, blue eyes. Szabo has several tattoos, including one on her arm, one on her left shoulder, and a Harley motorcycle without wheels on her left wrist. She has previously fractured her back, her arm, her leg, and her finger. She may use the last name Miller or the alias Karen Blaha. Her maiden name is Allen and some agencies refer to her as Brenda Joan Allen Szabo or Brenda Joan Allen-Szabo.
Details of Disappearance
Szabo was last seen in San Diego County, California on October 1, 1983. She had a troubled life prior to her disappearance. She ran away from home as a teenager and gave birth to four children over the course of eleven years; every one of them was eventually put up for adoption.
She was involved with drugs, crime, and prostitution, and was jailed several times in the 1970s. She traveled from New York to California and used at least fifteen different alias names and several Social Security numbers.
In the early 1980s Szabo tried to pull her life together and enrolled in community college. She was arrested for probation violation and served a term in Frontera State Prison. Following her release, Szabo told her family she would be traveling to Dallas, Texas to visit them and would call in two weeks. She never did and has never been heard from again.
One of Szabo's daughters is searching for her. She believes her mother may have started a new life under a new identity. San Bernardino County and San Diego, California police are investigating Szabo's disappearance. Her case remains unsolved.
- San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department 760-256-4838
- San Diego Police Department 619-531-2844
Updated 4 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated May 28, 2006; distinguishing characteristics updated.