Brian W. Sullivan
Sullivan, circa 2007; Age-progression to age 21 (circa 2009); Derrick Murray, circa 2010
- Missing Since 07/07/2007
- Missing From Rochester, New York
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Date of Birth 12/05/1987 (35)
- Age 19 years old
- Height and Weight 5'11, 170 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description Blue jean shorts, a blue pinstriped button-down shirt, a green baseball cap and white flip-flops.
- Medical Conditions Sullivan may be in need of medical attention for unspecified reasons.
- Associated Vehicle(s) Red 1995 Pontiac Sunfire with New York license plate number DXU 3048 (accounted for)
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Black hair, blue eyes. Sullivan's nickname is Sully. He may use the alias names Chuck Briswold and/or Charles Briswold.
Details of Disappearance
Sullivan was last seen at the drive-through window of a Burger King restaurant on Chili Avenue in Gates, New York at 5:48 a.m. on July 7, 2007.
His red 1995 Pontiac Sunfire with New York license plate number DXU 3048 was found abandoned at the end of Lettington Street, near a wooded area, later that day. The Burger King purchase receipt, fast food wrappers and Sullivan's bank card and phone charger were inside it. There were no signs of foul play in or around the vehicle.
Sullivan was last heard from when he left a friend a voice mail at 6:10 a.m. on July 8, the day after he was last seen. He has not been seen or heard from since.
Sullivan is a graduate of Churchville-Chili High School, and was a student at Monroe Community College at the time of his disappearance. He had held a job at the college bookstore and had saved up enough money to buy his car. His hobbies include taking long walks and listening to music, and he was striving for a career in social work or the music industry.
Sullivan's family stated he was not having any personal problems at the time of his disappearance, although he was unemployed. Prior to his disappearance, he had ordered some microphones and sound mixing equipment, which arrived in the mail after he went missing.
Derrick Murray is the prime suspect in Sullivan's disappearance; a photo of him is posted with this case summary. He died in August 2016, at the age of 49. Investigators believe Sullivan and Murray knew each other and spent time together in southwestern Rochester.
Murray did not have an unusually long or violent criminal record, but he did have a history of run-ins with the police. He had been a suspect in Sullivan's case since shortly after Sullivan disappeared, a fact not made public until after Murray's death.
Authorities stated they think other people in the area know what happened to Sullivan, and they hope to recover his remains.
- Monroe County Sheriff's Department 585-753-4900
Updated 5 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated September 5, 2015; details of disappearance updated.