Charles Franklin Huff
Huff, circa 2004
- Missing Since 11/25/2004
- Missing From Lakeland, Florida
- Classification Lost/Injured Missing
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Date of Birth 03/23/1928 (95)
- Age 76 years old
- Height and Weight 6'0, 200 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A Rolex watch, a ring with a large diamond, and possibly blue jeans, a camouflage-print shirt and jacket, an orange vest, a camouflage-print cap reading "The Gun Shed", and hunting boots.
- Medical Conditions Huff has suffered a heart attack in the past and underwent heart surgery as a result; a stent was inserted into one of his arteries. He is a borderline diabetic and he has an arthritic left knee. He is supposed to be taking medication that he does not have with him.
- Associated Vehicle(s) White 1994 Mazda pickup truck (sometimes reported to be a Nissan) (accounted for)
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Black hair, brown eyes. Huff has a tattoo on his left forearm. He wears yellow-tinted eyeglasses with wire frames.
Details of Disappearance
Huff was last seen at his Lakeland, Florida home at 8:00 a.m. on November 25, 2004. He is believed to have left the house to go on a hunting trip.
His wife came home from work and found Huff gone and a package of chicken spoiled in the sink. She became worried when he wasn't home by 6:00 p.m. He did not leave a note behind; he usually did this only when he was not planning to be gone a long time. Huff's wife reported him missing at 1:00 a.m. on November 26.
The day after his disappearance, Huff's white 1994 Mazda pickup truck (sometimes reported to be a Nissan) was found on Tanic Grade near Main Grade, six miles inside the 50,000-acre Green Swamp Wildlife Management Area, which is his favorite hunting spot and has very rough, swampy terrain.
There was no sign of Huff at the scene, but his sneakers were inside the truck. The weather the night of his disappearance was very cold and he could have developed hypothermia if he was without shelter.
Huff is a retired truck driver and has also worked part-time as a security guard. He was probably carrying a 22-gauge rifle when he disappeared. An extensive search of the Green Swamp area turned up no sign of him.
His loved ones believe he is deceased and possibly met with foul play; they theorized he may have been robbed for his watch, his ring or his gun, which is worth an estimated $500. There is no evidence to support any theory, however, and Huff's case remains unsolved.
- Sumter County Sheriff's Office 352-793-0222
Updated 3 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated March 2, 2006; picture added, distinguishing characteristics, Clothing/Jewelry Description, medical conditions and details of disappearance updated.