Clara Marie Grunst
Grunst, circa 1984
- Missing Since 10/09/1984
- Missing From Joplin, Missouri
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race White
- Date of Birth 07/20/1963 (59)
- Age 21 years old
- Height and Weight 5'3 - 5'6, 118 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description Reddish-brown pants, a white shirt with a floral waistband, blue sneakers, a Timex watch with a blue band, and a silver ring.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Grunst wears eyeglasses with large light beige plastic frames. She has pierced ears, a red birthmark on her navel, and a tattoo of the name "Jeff" below her left elbow. Grunst's CB radio handles are Blondie, Blue Eyes and Missouri Sunshine. Her spine is deformed from scoliosis.
Details of Disappearance
Grunst was last believed to be hitchhiking from Joplin, Missouri to Milwaukee, Wisconsin. She was last seen in the vicinity of Interstate 44 and Highway 43 in Joplin, when she got into a truck driven by a man from Milwaukee.
Grunst was living in Milwaukee at the time and looking for work there. She made a call from a Pittsburg, Kansas pay phone at 11:40 a.m. on October 9, 1984, the day after she left Joplin. She has never been heard from again.
Grunst's mother stated her daughter loved traveling and hitchhiked frequently at the time of her 1984 disappearance. When she left Joplin she was carrying a large sum of money and a brand new, expensive suede coat, both of them gifts from her brother, so her mother theorizes Grunst was robbed.
Police identified and questioned the truck driver last known to be with her, and he reportedly gave inconsistent statements, but there was insufficient evidence to file charges against anyone.
Grunst has previously visited truck stops in Wisconsin, California and Canada. Her mother believes she is dead.
- Newton County Sheriff's Office 417-451-8300
Updated 3 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated January 14, 2011; details of disappearance updated.