Crystal Dupuis Grebinger
Crystal, circa 2013; Sean Grebinger, circa 2013
- Missing Since 02/08/2013
- Missing From Lafayette, Louisiana
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race White
- Date of Birth 12/22/1980 (42)
- Age 32 years old
- Height and Weight 5'0, 115 - 130 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A gray jogging suit with drawstring pants and a pullover V-neck top, and black Sperry shoes with sequins.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown/hazel eyes. Grebinger's ears and nose are pierced. She has psoriasis, a skin condition, on her legs and a tattoo on her lower back. She may wear eyeglasses and wigs in various lengths and styles.
Details of Disappearance
Crystal was last seen in Lafayette, Louisiana on February 7, 2013. She was living in a shelter for abused women at the time. She left the shelter on February 7 and was last seen the following day. She failed to attend several child custody court dates later that month. She was reported missing on February 18.
Crystal married Sean Karl Grebinger in the 1990s and lived in Breaux Bridge, Louisiana. They had a stormy sixteen-year marriage and were estranged at the time of Crystal's disappearance.
A photo of Sean is posted with this case summary. In November 2012, Crystal had obtained a protective order to keep him away from her and their four children; she wrote that he had sexually assaulted her and on one occasion tried to strangle her, and she was afraid for her and her children's lives. Sean was supposed to stay 300 feet from Crystal at all times, but he allegedly violated the protective order twice.
On January 14, Crystal filed for divorce. She disappeared three weeks later.
Sean dropped out of sight two weeks after Crystal's disappearance, and his whereabouts were unknown for years. Authorities determined he moved to Brazil and got a residence permit by claiming, untruthfully, that he was an American Special Forces agent and faced political persecution in the United States. He married a Brazilian resident.
On January 31, 2020, he was arrested in Pouso Alegre, Brazil and charged an assault against his Brazilian wife. He was granted provisional release without bail, but in February 2020, he was re-arrested, and authorities announced he would be extradited to the United States to face murder charges in Crystal's disappearance.
Days later, still in custody in Brazil awaiting extradition to the U.S., Sean was found hanged in his cell. His death is under investigation but is believed to have been a suicide. He left at least three notes to his friends and family, asking them to take care of his children.
Crystal has never been located. Foul play is suspected in her case due to the circumstances involved.
- Lafayette Police Department 337-291-5614
Updated 5 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated February 24, 2020; details of disappearance updated.