Broughton, circa 1995
- Missing Since 05/27/1995
- Missing From Pensacola, Florida
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Male
- Race Black
- Date of Birth 12/07/1918 (104)
- Age 76 years old
- Height and Weight 5'4, 160 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A plaid shirt, blue jeans, a red baseball cap and a silver medical alert bracelet with his name, address and phone number on his left wrist.
- Medical Conditions Broughton suffers from Alzheimer's Disease.
- Distinguishing Characteristics African-American male. Black hair, brown eyes.
Details of Disappearance
Broughton was last seen at his home in the 3300 block of Marcus Drive in Pensacola, Florida at 5:30 p.m. on May 27, 1995. He told his grandson he was going into the backyard to check his garden and would be back in about half an hour. He never returned.
Broughton's wife, who was watering the lawn at the time, saw him walking away from the house and went to get her shoes and car keys to follow him. A neighbor saw him try to get into a fence several doors down the street. Broughton then went behind some nearby homes by the railroad tracks. He may have been sighted under the viaduct near the J.E. Hall Center on Texar Drive. He has never been heard from again.
In spite of Broughton's Alzheimer's Disease, he had no prior history of wandering away. Before his disappearance he had been talking about moving back to Monroeville, Alabama; he was born there and still had relatives there, but lived in Pensacola for most of his life.
An extensive search of the area turned up no sign of him; Broughton's family theorizes he was picked up by a passing motorist and taken out of town. Although he was easily confused, he had no prior history of wandering. His case remains unsolved.
- Pensacola Police Department 850-435-1900
Updated 2 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated July 13, 2018; clothing/jewelry description and details of disappearance updated.