Curtis Cochie Smith
Smith, circa 1991
- Missing Since 02/21/1991
- Missing From Plaquemine, Louisiana
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Male
- Race Black
- Date of Birth 05/04/1961 (62)
- Age 29 years old
- Height and Weight 5'4, 135 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A blue jacket, a white pullover shirt and blue sweatpants.
- Distinguishing Characteristics African-American male. Black hair, brown eyes.
Details of Disappearance
Smith was last seen in Plaquemine, Louisiana on February 21, 1991. He left his mother's residence during the early evening hours and a friend saw him standing outside a store in the rain, carrying an umbrella. Smith said he was waiting for his boss to bring him some money. He has never been heard from again.
Authorities believe Smith was murdered and said their prime suspect confessed and lead them to a spot near Bayou Pigeon, south of Plaquemine, where he said he'd dumped the body. The suspect said he put Smith's body in a barrel, made holes in the barrel and dumped it in the water. Nothing was found, however, and the suspect retracted his statements.
This person is also a suspect in the 2002 murder of a Plaquemine man who was shot and killed at his home. Both Smith and the 2002 shooting victim worked at the same place, a business managed by the suspect, and both of them were having issues with him.
No one has been charged in Smith's disappearance; his case remains unsolved.
- Iberville Parish Sheriff's Office 225-687-5100
Updated 2 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated October 29, 2016; picture added, details of disappearance updated.