Daffany Sherika Tullos

Daffany, circa 1988; Age-progression to age 40 (circa 2020)

  • Missing Since 07/26/1988
  • Missing From Jackson, Mississippi
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race Black
  • Date of Birth 11/02/1980 (43)
  • Age 7 years old
  • Height and Weight 3'7, 55 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A blue and white checkered or striped sleeveless shirt, blue and white walking shorts and no shoes or socks. All of Daffany's clothing is labeled with her name.
  • Medical Conditions Daffany is epileptic and requires daily medication to control her seizures and other symptoms. She did not have her medication with her when she vanished. If she goes for longer than three days without her medication, Daffany will suffer frequent seizures, which are often preceded by severe headaches.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics African-American female. Black hair, brown eyes. Daffany wore her hair in a short to medium-length Jheri curl style at the time she disappeared in 1988. Her ears are pierced. Her name may be spelled "Daphne."

Details of Disappearance

Daffany was last seen walking in her hometown of Jackson, Mississippi on July 26, 1988. She lived with her grandparents in the 4400 block of Azalea Circle in north Jackson, while her mother lived in an apartment on Bailey Avenue.

Daffany left her grandparents' residence between 7:00 and 8:00 p.m., after getting into an argument with her mother over some fish sticks. She was last seen walking toward Northside Drive. Daffany has never been heard from again. It's uncharacteristic of her to stay away from home after dark.

Daffany's biological father was ruled out as a suspect in her case; he is now deceased. At the time of the child's disappearance, authorities were investigating allegations that her mother's boyfriend, Ernest Lee Epps, the father of Daffany's two-year-old twin brothers, had sexually abused her in June 1988. Daffany had told an aunt Epps had touched her inappropriately on June 29, while she was asleep.

Epps maintained his innocence, but was arrested on July 8 and charged with sexual battery. At one point, Epps's family offered the Tullos family $175 to drop the complaint against him, but they refused. He was released on bail on the morning of July 26. Daffany went missing that same evening.

In spite of the timing, police were unable to tie Epps to her disappearance. He later passed a polygraph in her case, as did Daffany's mother. Epps is now deceased.

Authorities got tips about Daffany's whereabouts from as far away as Michigan, but they were never able to determine the child's fate. She would have started second grade in the autumn of 1988. Her case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency

  • Jackson Police Department 601-960-1234
  • Federal Bureau of Investigation 202-324-3000

Updated 9 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated January 1, 2024; picture added, details of disappearance updated.