Daniel Joseph Marks
Marks, circa 2005; Tattoos on Marks's shoulders
- Missing Since 11/10/2005
- Missing From Kauai, Hawaii
- Classification Lost/Injured Missing
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Date of Birth 03/13/1981 (42)
- Age 24 years old
- Height and Weight 5'8, 130 - 140 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description Possibly a gray t-shirt, khaki cargo pants or shorts, a wrap sarong, sandals, and a wristwatch with a black band.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, brown eyes. Marks has small black Asian symbols tattooed on each temple; these tattoos are normally barely visible, being covered by his hair. He has a tattoo of a maple leaf outlined in black on each upper arm at the shoulder; photos of them are posted with this case summary. His ears and tongue have previously been pierced. Marks has five pale-colored cafe au lait marks on his abdomen; the marks are between the size of a dime and a baseball. His nickname is Erth.
Details of Disappearance
Marks was last seen at approximately 4:00 p.m. on November 10, 2005 overlooking Waimea Canyon at the second Kalaluau lookout on Pihea Trail in Kauai, Hawaii. He may have been carrying a small backpack with tent poles at the time of his disappearance.
Marks was supposed to fly from Kauai to Duluth, Minnesota on November 16 to visit relatives, but he did not make his flight. He has never been heard from again.
Investigators and Marks's family believe he became lost or injured while hiking and died in the wilderness, possibly as the result of a fall. There were sightings of him reported on the island of Kauai after his disappearance, but all the sightings were subsequently proven false.
Marks graduated from Girard High School in 1999, then obtained a bachelor's degree in music from Antioch College in Ohio. He resided in Portland, Oregon in 2005, and was scheduled to begin graduate school at Portland State University in 2006. He planned to pursue a master's degree in environmental studies.
Marks is an experienced hiker, camper and traveler and has visited India, New Zealand, Australia and much of the western United States. He is described as a quiet, reserved individual. He enjoys writing music. His case remains unsolved.
- Kauai Police Department 808-241-1678
Updated 5 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated May 7, 2021; distinguishing characteristics updated.