David Michael Burney
Burney, circa 2007
- Missing Since 06/29/2007
- Missing From Battleground, Alabama
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Age 46 years old
- Height and Weight 5'4 - 5'7, 155 - 165 pounds
- Associated Vehicle(s) Red 1987 Toyota Tercel (accounted for)
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Graying brown hair, brown/hazel eyes. Burney has numerous tattoos on his arms, a scar on his right arm and a brown birthmark on the front of his neck just under his chin. He is missing several teeth.
Details of Disappearance
Burney purchased a red 1987 Toyota Tercel on June 29, 2007; he planned to drive to Georgia to meet his two daughters. He was last seen at the Jet-Pep gas station and convenience store on Highway 157 in Battleground, Alabama that day. He has never been heard from again.
In late August, the Toyota was found abandoned in Bankhead Forest off county road B15 in Winston County, Alabama. Locals reported having seen it there as early as July 7, a week after Burney's disappearance. It was out of gas and with the battery missing, but there was no blood at the scene and no indications of a struggle.
Burney's mother, sister and six children all stated he would not have left of his own accord, and they think he may have met with foul play; they stated he had enemies who could have harmed him. His case remains unsolved.
- Cullman County Sheriff's Office 256-734-0342
Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated February 27, 2016; casefile added.