Dawnita Leauta Wilkerson
Wilkerson, circa 2020; Wilkerson on the day of her disappearance; 2004 Chevrolet Suburban
- Missing Since 06/21/2020
- Missing From Evansville, Indiana
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race Black
- Date of Birth 03/14/1976 (47)
- Age 44 years old
- Height and Weight 5'3, 145 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A red v-neck t-shirt with "St. Louis" on the front, blue denim shorts, dark-colored socks with white polka dots, and sandals. A photo of Wilkerson in those clothes is posted with this case summary.
- Medical Conditions Wilkerson has several medical conditions requiring medication which she doesn't have with her.
- Associated Vehicle(s) Silver 2004 Chevrolet Suburban with a sunroof and tinted windows
- Distinguishing Characteristics African-American female. Black hair, brown eyes. Wilkerson has multiple tattoos, including a cross on her upper left shoulder, praying hands with the name "Timmy" on her upper right shoulder, and a heart on her lower back. Her ears are pierced multiple times.
Details of Disappearance
Wilkerson was last seen at 8:16 a.m. on June 21, 2020, getting into a silver 2004 Chevrolet Suburban with a sunroof and tinted windows outside a motel in Evansville, Indiana. The vehicle is known to have traveled west through southwest Indiana and into southern Illinois, afterwards. By about 9:00 a.m. the next day, Wilkerson's phone had been shut off, or the battery had died. She has never been heard from again.
According to her family, prior to her disappearance Wilkerson was afraid for her life. She had given her loved ones the names of two men who had sent her messages threatening her and her children. One of the men was someone whom she had dated occasionally, and the other was a relative of that man. She had changed her phone number to avoid these men, but they found out her new number.
The ex-boyfriend Wilkerson named had been violent to her before and had been arrested four times in 2018 and 2019 for assaulting her. He has four prior convictions for domestic violence or battery out of Illinois, and four different women had filed protective orders against him in Illinois. On the morning of the day she disappeared, Wilkerson called a family member and said she was with the two men and was frightened. She asked if her relative if they knew anyone who had a gun.
According to police, they have identified the owner of the vehicle Wilkerson got into, but the owner is not cooperating with the investigation. Her family said the owner is one of the two men Wilkerson feared. A photo of the Suburban is posted with this case summary.
Wilkerson is considered missing under suspicious circumstances. She left behind six children between the ages of 15 and 22, and prior to her disappearance she would call her mother on a daily business. Her case remains unsolved.
- Evansville Police Department 812-436-7896
Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated December 1, 2021; casefile added.