Dean E. Dawson
Dawson, circa 1996
- Missing Since 04/25/1996
- Missing From Sterling, New York
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Date of Birth 05/21/1955 (68)
- Age 40 years old
- Height and Weight 6'2, 170 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A blue denim jacket, blue jeans and a red hat.
- Medical Conditions Dawson was attempting to overcome a drinking problem at the time of his disappearance.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, blue eyes.
Details of Disappearance
Dawson spent the night at a friend's home on Route 10 in Sterling, New York on April 25, 1996. He was last seen at 11:30 p.m. When his friend woke up the following morning, he was gone. His bed didn't appear to have been slept in. He has never been heard from again and all of his belongings were left behind.
Authorities believe Dawson initially left his home to find alcohol, but it is unknown what happened to him after that. There was an unconfirmed sighting of him on the Nichols Road Bridge near Martville, New York at 7:30 a.m. on April 26. He was also reportedly seen on a bridge in Oswego, New York, twenty miles from Sterling.
At the time of his disappearance, Dawson led a semi-transient lifestyle without a permanent address or a vehicle. He had separated from his wife and two children about a year before.
He worked odd jobs in the Martville, New York area and was well-known locally, and he kept in close touch with his family. He had been known to walk relatively long distances.
Investigators believe Dawson is probably deceased, but it is unclear whether foul play was involved in his disappearance, and there was no indication that he was suicidal. His case remains unsolved.
- Cayuga County Sheriff's Department 315-253-1610
Updated 5 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated November 20, 2011; middle initial and two pictures added, details of disappearance updated.