Debra Herms Childers
Childers, circa 1995
- Missing Since 03/22/1995
- Missing From Bessemer City, North Carolina
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race White
- Age 40 years old
- Height and Weight 5'0, 100 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A light blue long-sleeved shirt and blue jeans.
- Associated Vehicle(s) Dark blue 1985 Chevrolet Caprice (accounted for)
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, blue eyes. Childers has a scar on her abdomen and pierced ears.
Details of Disappearance
Childers was last seen in Bessemer City, North Carolina on March 22, 1995, when she left home for a date in Clover. She was driving a dark blue 1985 Chevrolet Caprice at the time. She has never been heard from again. On April 9, the car was found abandoned in a wooded area off State Route 97 in Chester County, South Carolina. The vehicle's license plate was missing, but there were no indications of foul play.
At the time of her disappearance, Childers was working at Threads USA and living with her former in-laws in the Creekside Mobile Home Park. It was they who reported her missing on March 29; they didn't do it sooner because she had a history of dropping out of sight for a few days at a time.
Childers left behind two paychecks when she vanished. She was going through a divorce and her ex-husband is considered a person of interest in her case, but he died without ever being charged in her disappearance. Her case remains unsolved.
- Gaston County Police Department 704-866-3320
Updated 2 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated May 1, 2018; two pictures added, details of disappearance updated.