Diana Jane Braungardt
Braungardt, circa 1987; Sketch of suspect
- Missing Since 03/11/1987
- Missing From Crystal City, Missouri
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race White
- Date of Birth 01/31/1969 (54)
- Age 18 years old
- Height and Weight 5'6 - 5'7, 108 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A Venture smock, a white shirt with colored print, bright turquoise pants, a short black boys' coat and brown loafers. Carrying an off-white cloth purse.
- Associated Vehicle(s) Yellow 1982 Ford Escort (accounted for)
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blonde hair, hazel eyes. Braungardt has three small scars on her forehead, a V-shaped scar above the right corner of her mouth, and pierced ears.
Details of Disappearance
Braungardt was last seen on March 11, 1987 in Crystal City, Missouri, leaving the now-defunct Venture store in the Twin City Mall. where she was employed part-time as a clerk. She finished her shift at 10:00 p.m. and was walking to the parking lot, where her family's yellow 1982 Ford Escort was parked.
Braungardt, a senior at Festus High School, had told coworkers she needed to get home and study for a test. She never arrived home that evening and has not been seen again. The vehicle was located later in the parking lot, but there was no trace of Braungardt. Authorities don't believe she ever made it to her car.
Witnesses saw a man talking to Braungardt in the store parking lot before she disappeared. He's described as Caucasian, in his early twenties, about 5'10 tall with brown or black hair and a medium build. A sketch of the man is posted with this case summary; he has never been identified.
Braungardt did not have a boyfriend at the time of her disappearance. Her father was a pastor at the First United Methodist Church in 1987, and the family lived in the 800 block of west Main Street. There have been no leads in her disappearance and her case remains unsolved.
- Crystal City Police Department 314-937-4601
Updated 6 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated April 29, 2019; distinguishing characteristics and clothing/jewelry description updated.