Diane Louise Wolf

Wolf, circa 1999

  • Missing Since 01/29/1999
  • Missing From Hanover, Pennsylvania
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 05/19/1953 (71)
  • Age 45 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'6, 180 pounds
  • Associated Vehicle(s) Turquoise 1994 Pontiac Grand Prix with the Pennsylvania license plate number WR9396M (accounted for)
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair with red highlights, brown eyes. Wolf has a scar on her abdomen and a purple rose tattooed on her left ankle. Her ears are triple-pierced, and she wears eyeglasses. Her maiden name is Althoff.

Details of Disappearance

Wolf worked the third shift at Hanover Foods on Route 116 in Hanover, Pennsylvania. She had held the job for twenty years. Her husband and mother were also employed at the company; they worked second shift. Wolf departed from the business at approximately 7:00 a.m. on January 29, 1999. She returned to her family's residence on Sycamore Lane in Conewago Township, Pennsylvania shortly afterwards.

Wolf left her pink and white lunchbox and several Avon products on their kitchen table, then drove to the Allfirst Bank on Dart Drive in Hanover. A security camera recorded her $300 deposit at the drive-through ATM at approximately 7:33 a.m.

Wolf normally filled her car's gas tank on Fridays and also visited a local tanning salon during the evening hours. She never canceled her appointment scheduled for that night. Wolf has never been heard from again. She had been employed at Hanover Foods for eighteen years prior to her disappearance and had never missed work before without giving notice.

Wolf's sister was employed at Weis Market on Baltimore Street in Hanover. She discovered Wolf's turquoise 1994 Pontiac Grand Prix with the Pennsylvania license plate number WR9396M locked and abandoned in the parking lot on February 2, 1999 at approximately 6:50 a.m. There was no sign of her sister at the scene.

Another store employee reported that the vehicle had been parked in their lot since the previous morning. Wolf's dry cleaning was hanging from the interior hook and the car's locks were frozen. The car was covered with dust, as if it had been driven on a dirt road or in a quarry. Wolf's loved ones said that she normally searched for the closest possible parking space at any establishment. Her Grand Prix was parked on the outskirts of Weis Market's lot, which was uncharacteristic of her.

There hasn't been any activity on Wolf's credit cards since January 1999. She left all of her clothing behind at her residence, and her cellular phone, which she normally carried everywhere, was in her car. Only Wolf's purse was missing; it has never been recovered. She normally packed at least two suitcases if she was planning to go on a trip.

She had left a hotel card on her nightstand, with a handwritten phone number on it. When police tracked the number, they discovered it belonged to a Maryland man. He said the number was an old fax number he no longer used, and that he'd never met Wolf and had no idea why the number was in her bedroom.

Her husband, whom she met through her job and married three years after her first husband died, maintained that they never had any serious problems in their fourteen-year marriage. However, she had had several extramarital affairs, including some that were reportedly were coworkers. One couple she had worked with had threatened her. By the time of her disappearance, however, that couple had moved out of state.

There were two unconfirmed sightings of Wolf since her disappearance. One took place in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania on Stratton Street on the same morning Wolf's car was discovered. Another sighting took place near Chambersburg, Pennsylvania in March 1999.

Wolf's family members said that she was looking forward to visiting her pregnant daughter during her four weeks of vacation from Hanover Foods. She was reportedly excited about becoming a grandmother. She planned the baby shower and placed a baby crib on layaway. Her daughter, who lived out of state, was planning to move back home before the baby was born, and Wolf was thrilled that they'd be living nearer to each other.

Her mother said that Wolf was upset several days before her disappearance. She said she was worried because she had not yet created a written will. Her mother calmed her down and Wolf appeared to be fine afterwards. It is not known if the incident is related to her case.

Wolf was declared legally dead in 2006, seven years after she went missing. Her husband died in 2012. Police believe she was a victim of foul play and someone in the local area has knowledge of her disappearance. Her case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency

  • Pennsylvania State Police
  • Gettysburg Station
  • 717-334-8111
  • Harrisburg Station
  • 717-705-0340

Updated 6 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated October 8, 2015; two pictures added, details of disappearance updated.