Donald H. Major
Major, circa 1983
- Missing Since 11/04/1983
- Missing From Vicksburg, Mississippi
- Classification Lost/Injured Missing
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Date of Birth 11/21/1933 (89)
- Age 49 years old
- Height and Weight 6'3, weight unknown
- Associated Vehicle(s) Blue and white single-engine Cessna 177 Cardinal airplane
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Gray hair. Major's nickname is Don.
Details of Disappearance
Major was last seen refueling his blue and white single-engine Cessna 177 Cardinal airplane at an airport in Vicksburg, Mississippi on November 4, 1983. He had gone there to pick up parts for a combine. Witnesses in Vicksburg said he looked as if he was sick. After picking up the parts and refuelling, he took off between 10:30 and 11:00 a.m.
A teacher and class of children in Vicksburg saw Major's plane flying overhead just as they were going inside their school to get out of the rain. He was en route back to his residence in Kilbourne, Louisiana, where he had a private airstrip, but never arrived there and has never been heard from again. His plane has not been recovered in spite of an extensive search lasting almost two weeks.
Major is a graduate of Kilbourne High School and attended Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge. He and his family have extensive farming interests both in the Kilbourne area, where Major had served as mayor from 1966 to 1974, and across the state line in Arkansas. He also co-owned a local hardware store and was on the board of directors of the Bank of Oak Grove.
Louisiana authorities are investigating his disappearance.
- West Carroll Parish Sheriff's Office 318-282-3056
Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated May 26, 2019; casefile added.