Algul, circa 2001
- Missing Since 12/27/2001
- Missing From Brooklyn, New York
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Date of Birth 07/28/1973 (49)
- Age 28 years old
- Height and Weight 6'1, 170 - 175 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A chef's jacket with The Garden Of Eden logo imprinted on the front, a white undershirt, a blue shirt, khaki pants and a white and yellow gold wedding band on one of his right fingers.
- Medical Conditions Algul was severely depressed in December 2001; he developed the depression after his mother was killed in an automobile accident and was prescribed medication to control the condition. He stopped taking his medication two weeks prior to his disappearance.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, green eyes. Algul's nickname is Frank. He is a Turkish national.
Details of Disappearance
Algul departed from The Garden of Eden, the gourmet farmers' market he managed, in the New York City borough of Brooklyn at approximately 8:30 p.m. on December 27, 2001. The business is located in the 100 block of Montague Street. Algul's loved ones say he was in a "trance-like state" when he left.
Algul boarded the number 2 subway train in the neighborhood of Brooklyn Heights shortly afterwards. A co-worker saw him on the train and tried to speak to him, but Algul did not repond. He unexpectedly exited two stops later at the Wall Street station in the borough of Manhattan. Algul has never been heard from again.
Algul's family believes he may have been picked up by the FBI and detained as a suspected terrorist after his disappearance. During the aftermath of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, many Muslim men and men of Middle Eastern descent were detained. The FBI denies having him in custody, however.
Algul's loved ones also hypothesize that he could have had a nervous breakdown, but they do not believe he would have tried to take his own life. There is no evidence to support any theory.
Ridgefield, New Jersey authorities are handling Algul's investigation. His case remains unsolved.
- Ridgefield Police Department 201-943-5210
Updated 2 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated April 27, 2006; alternate weight added.