Gebar Byrd Jr.

Gebar, circa 2010; Yasmin Rodriguez; Gebar Byrd Sr.

  • Missing Since 03/22/2010
  • Missing From University City, Missouri
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race Biracial, Black, Hispanic
  • Date of Birth 04/13/2008 (16)
  • Age 1 year old
  • Height and Weight 2'3, 26 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Biracial (African-American/Hispanic) male. Black hair, brown eyes. Some agencies refer to Gebar as Gebar Byrd Rodriguez.

Details of Disappearance

Gebar was last seen in University City, Missouri on March 22, 2010. He lived with his mother, Yasmin Rodriguez, and father, Gebar Byrd Sr., in the 6600 block of Crest. Photos of Gebar's parents are posted with this case summary. They had been together for about six to eight years by 2006, but had never married.

According to Gebar Sr., Rodriguez took Gebar and left after an argument. He stated she had done the same thing a year before and had stayed with relatives for a month, so he wasn't concerned about her or their son. Rodriguez's relatives reported her and Gebar missing on March 28.

Rodriguez's body was found in the Mississippi River in St. Louis, Missouri on April 9. Authorities initially stated there was no obvious signs of trauma, but on closer examination they discovered a cut on her forehead and bruises on her arms, legs and torso.

In late May, Gebar Sr. was charged with her murder and Gebar's murder. Investigators believe Gebar Sr. pushed Rodriguez into the river at Riverview and Spring Garden Drive while she was holding the child in her arms. Rodriguez couldn't swim, something Gebar Sr. was aware of, and both she and their son drowned.

Police stated Gebar Sr. had confessed to the crime, after initially claiming Rodriguez had intentionally killed their son and then took her own life. According to Rodriguez's family, the couple had a rocky relationship and Gebar Sr. had assaulted Rodriguez before. She thought he was unfaithful and had planned to end their relationship.

In October 2011, Gebar Sr. was convicted of second-degree murder for Rodriguez's death and involuntary manslaughter for Gebar's death, as well as child endangerment and second-degree domestic assault. He was sentenced to life in prison for the murder, and three consecutive seven-year sentences for the other crimes.

At his trial his defense argued that his confession had been coerced. Gebar Sr.'s mother believes her grandson is still alive, because his birth certificate and other documents could not be found after his disappearance.

Gebar's body has never been found, but foul play is suspected in his case due to the circumstances involved.

Investigating Agency

  • University City Police Department 314-725-2211
  • St. Louis Police Department 314-231-1212

Updated 4 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated September 21, 2018; three pictures added.