Helen Jean Kelly
Kelly, circa 2005; 2000 Honda Accord
- Missing Since 05/18/2005
- Missing From Sioux City, Iowa
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race White
- Date of Birth 08/26/1921 (101)
- Age 83 years old
- Height and Weight 5'5, 115 pounds
- Medical Conditions Kelly has an unspecified medical condition. It is not life-threatening. She was considered quite active and in good health for her age at the time of her disappearance.
- Associated Vehicle(s) Ggold 2000 Honda Accord with the Iowa license plate number 953EDK
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Gray hair, brown eyes. Kelly's maiden name is Braunger.
Details of Disappearance
Kelly was last seen at her house in the 3600 block of Court Street in Sioux City, Iowa on May 18, 2005. When her husband woke up that morning, she was missing. He believed she left sometime between 7:00 and 8:00 a.m. He was initially unconcerned, but started to worry after she missed lunch. He reported her as a missing person at 3:00 p.m.
Kelly left behind her purse and all her other belongings, and she hadn't mentioned plans to travel anywhere. She has never been heard from again. Her gold 2000 Honda Accord with the Iowa license plate number 953EDK is also missing; a photo of the car is posted with this case summary.
She disappeared just two weeks before her 58th wedding anniversary. Her husband died in 2009 at the age of 89; in his obituary, it was noted that his wife predeceased him. They had two children.
Another family now lives in the Kellys' former home on Court Street, and their young son claimed he'd seen a "Ghost Grandma" living in the crawl space under in the home. None of the adults have ever seen the supposed ghost.
Kelly was born in Sioux City as the youngest of ten children. She has been declared legally dead, but her case remains unsolved.
- Sioux City Police Department 712-279-6390
Updated 4 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated July 1, 2015; details of disappearance updated.