Herman J. Caldwell Jr.
Caldwell, circa 1982; Leroy Nolan in 2004
- Missing Since 03/03/1982
- Missing From Columbia, South Carolina
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Male
- Race Black
- Date of Birth 07/22/1949 (73)
- Age 32 years old
- Height and Weight 5'5 - 5'8, 150 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A blue flowered shirt, black pants, black shoes and unspecified jewelry.
- Associated Vehicle(s) Black and gray 1972 Pontiac Grand Prix with the South Carolina license plate number GOK 105 and VIN number 2K57TA195320
- Distinguishing Characteristics African-American male. Black hair, brown eyes.
Details of Disappearance
Caldwell was last seen in Columbia, South Carolina on March 3, 1982. He withdrew $500 from his bank account that day; this was the last activity on the account. He was driving a black and gray 1972 Pontiac Grand Prix with the South Carolina license plate number GOK 105 and VIN number 2K57TA195320, and may have been en route to Charleston, South Carolina. He has never been heard from again and his vehicle has never been recovered.
In 1978, four years before his disappearance, Caldwell was robbed and beaten by three men in the 2300 block of Gervais Street. He was able to identify one of his assailants as Leroy Nolan, also known as Tony Shelton, and a year later, Nolan was arrested for the assault.
Nolan was released from jail in October 1982. Just before his disappearance, Caldwell told his father he was being threatened by Nolan.
In 2004, Nolan and two other men were charged murder and kidnapping in connection with a double homicide that happened in 1978. They allegedly killed a woman and her two-year-old son on the same day Caldwell was attacked. A photo of Nolan is posted with this case summary.
Authorities hoped to learn more information about Caldwell's disappearance following Nolan's arrest, but they were unable to learn anything, and Nolan died in 2010.
Foul play is suspected in Caldwell's case, which remains unsolved.
- Richland County Sheriff's Office
Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated April 13, 2016; casefile added.