Ian Hunter Burnet
Burnet, circa 2011; Burnet's jacket; Burnet's sweatshirt
- Missing Since 12/30/2011
- Missing From Manhattan, New York
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Age 22 years old
- Height and Weight 5'8 - 5'10, 131 - 160 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A blue and white Monument Ave. 10k Nike windbreaker jacket, a gray hooded sweatshirt with the Wikipedia logo, jeans and gloves. Photographs of the sweatshirt and jacket are posted with this case summary.
- Medical Conditions Burnet has a history of depression and attempted suicide once before.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, green eyes.
Details of Disappearance
Burnet was a senior engineering, mathematics and physics major at Virginia Commonwealth University at the time of his disappearance, and lived in Richmond, Virginia. On December 26, 2011, he took a bus to New York City to stay with friends in the area of 139th Street and Riverside Drive. His last known contact with his parents was a text message he sent them on December 28.
Burnet texted his roommate in Virginia at approximately 4:00 p.m. on December 30, discussing plans for his trip home. His last text messages were to the two females he was staying with in Harlem in the borough of Manhattan. He has never been heard from again. He left his iPhone behind at his friends' apartment, but took his driver's license, MetroCard and credit cards.
Burnet has no history of drug or alcohol problems. He was an Eagle Scout and the valedictorian of his high school class, and got a full scholarship to college. His family describes him as very independent and said he'd lived on his own for years by the time he went missing.
Authorities don't believe foul play was involved in Burnet's disappearance, but his loved ones fear for his safety. His brother believes he could have taken his own life. His case remains unsolved. Both New York and Virginia police are investigating.
- New York Police Department 212-690-8842
- New Kent County, Virginia Sheriff's Office 804-966-9500
Updated 2 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated March 16, 2014; picture added.