Irin Marie Meyer
Meyer, circa 1979; Meyer's keyring; Meyer's ring
- Missing Since 07/20/1979
- Missing From Gold Beach, Oregon
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race White
- Date of Birth 05/30/1950 (73)
- Age 29 years old
- Height and Weight 5'2, 130 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A brown imitation leather coat, a shirt, cut-off jeans, boots, a head scarf and a large silver ring. Carrying a large rectangular keyring reading "BOSS" and a Vivitar camera. Drawings of the ring and keyring are posted with this case summary.
- Associated Vehicle(s) Green AMC Gremlin hatchback with the Missouri license plate number BBR220 (accounted for)
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, green eyes. Some agencies give Meyer's middle name as "Maria." She has a light brown birthmark two inches below her left shoulder and scars on her knee.
Details of Disappearance
Meyer was last seen on July 20, 1979, either at McKay's Market in Brookings, Oregon or at her campsite at Harris Beach State Park in Gold Beach, Oregon. She had paid for two nights' camping on July 19. Meyer has never been heard from again. She was reported missing on July 23.
On July 29, her green AMC Gremlin hatchback with the Missouri license plate number BBR220 was found in the parking lot of Whaleshead Beach State Park, five miles from Brookings, with newly purchased groceries and cat food inside.
The cat was found zipped into Meyer's sleeping bag inside her tent at Harris Beach State Park, nearly starved to death. It would be uncharacteristic of Meyer to leave her cat without making arrangements for its care.
Meyer took only her purse with her when she disappeared. She is from St. Louis, Missouri, where she lived in the 5000 block of Waterman Boulevard and worked for several years at restaurants in the city. She quit her job a few months prior to her disappearance, gave up her apartment and went on and was on an extended visit with her sister and friends on the West Coast.
Police at the time she disappeared theorized she fell off a cliff, but this theory has not been proved. Her case is unsolved.
- Curry County Sheriff's Department 541-247-3242
Updated 3 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated April 21, 2016; details of disappearance updated.