James Joseph Kane III
Kane, circa 2013
- Missing Since 05/13/2013
- Missing From Pensacola, Florida
- Classification Lost/Injured Missing
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Date of Birth 08/06/1991 (31)
- Age 21 years old
- Height and Weight 5'6, 185 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A dark red ski vest type jacket and an olive green broad-rimmed Columbia hat. Carrying a waterproof camouflage-print bag containing his wallet and cellular phone.
- Associated Vehicle(s) Yellow six-foot kayak with a black and silver Pelican brand paddle (accounted for)
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, brown eyes. Kane goes by his middle name, Joseph, or the nickname Joe.
Details of Disappearance
Kane was last seen kayaking off Lake Frederick Beach near Pensacola, Florida on May 13, 2013. He was riding in a yellow six-foot kayak with a black and silver Pelican brand paddle, and had taken his black and white dog, Fannie, with him.
Kane never returned to shore. Ten days later, his kayak was found on Okaloosa Island; there was no sign of him, the dog, the kayak's paddle or the bag Kane had taken with him.
Kane attended Catholic schools, where he participated in weightlifting, football and music ministry. He was also a member of the Boy Scouts and attained the rank of Eagle Scout in 2009. At the time of his disappearance, he was a rising senior at Florida State University, where he was a good student majoring in geography and environmental studies. He was also active in the university's Catholic Student Union.
He is presumed to have drowned.
- Escambia County Sheriff's Office 850-433-7867
Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated December 28, 2014; casefile added.