James Matthew Meulemans II
James, circa 1987; James's father, James Matthew Meulemans
- Missing Since 12/20/1987
- Missing From Brevard County, Florida
- Classification Lost/Injured Missing
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Date of Birth 06/17/1975 (47)
- Age 12 years old
- Height and Weight 4'9, 62 pounds
- Associated Vehicle(s) 21-foot, gas-powered Chris Craft fishing boat
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, brown eyes. James's nickname is Jamie, which is sometimes misspelled "Jaime."
Details of Disappearance
Jamie was last seen in Brevard County, Florida on December 20, 1987. He and his father, 39-year-old James Matthew Meulemans, left Port Canaveral at 6:30 a.m. on a fishing expedition in a 21-foot, gas-powered Chris Craft boat. They were meant to be gone for twelve hours and then return by nightfall. The captain was John DeGoes and the only other passenger was Frank Doherty.
The boat never returned to shore. The body of the captain was found about twelve miles off Daytona Beach, Florida on December 26. James's body washed ashore in January; a photo of him is posted with this case summary. Doherty and Jamie were never located and neither was any sign of the boat, in spite of an extensive search.
Authorities aren't sure how the boat apparently ran into trouble, as DeGoes was an experienced captain who frequently led fishing trips, and water conditions were not bad on the day they all went missing. The boat had a radio, but never sent out any distress signals. Both Jamie and Doherty are presumed lost at sea.
- Brevard County Sheriff's Office 321-264-5217
Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated April 21, 2019; casefile added.