James N. Lacouture
James, circa 1988
- Missing Since 10/29/1988
- Missing From Hardwick, Massachusetts
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Date of Birth 06/27/1953 (69)
- Age 35 years old
- Height and Weight 5'5, 130 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A plaid shirt and jeans.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, brown eyes. James has a scar on his right wrist. His nickname is Jimmy. He drank Budweiser beer and smoked cigarettes in 1988. James has had many dental treatments, including one temporary composite and one large silver filling.
Details of Disappearance
James was last seen on October 29, 1988. He and his brother, David Lacouture, left James's Millbury, Massachusetts home to go to Hardwick, Massachusetts and work on a house David was building in a remote part of the city. They changed their minds and went to a local pub instead.
Later that day, James's wife found David drunk and asleep on her couch. David told her James was home also, but he wasn't. His wife went to Hardwick to look for him, and called the police after she could not find him.
Authorities initially believed James was on a drinking binge and would return home soon, but he is now thought to have met with foul play. His wife stated it would be uncharacteristic of him to abandon her and their three children.
David took his own life five days after his brother went missing. He left a suicide note which did not provide any information as to James's whereabouts. It is unclear whether David's suicide was related to his brother's disappearance.
James's wife believes he is deceased and has purchased a cemetery plot and tombstone for him. He has been declared legally dead, but his case remains unsolved.
- Hardwick Police Department
Updated 3 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated September 1, 2007; date of birth and height and weight added, distinguishing characteristics updated.