James Thomas Stanley
Stanley, circa 1967 (7 years prior to disappearance); Age-progression of Stanley to age 52 (circa 2001)
- Missing Since 09/17/1967
- Missing From Ohio, Ohio
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Date of Birth 03/30/1949 (74)
- Age 25 years old
- Height and Weight 5'7 - 5'8, 140 pounds
- Associated Vehicle(s) Green 1969 Fiat with the Ohio license plate number X1798H (accounted for)
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Blond/light brown hair, blue eyes. Stanley has a fair complexion. He has a surgical scar on the left side of his body due to a hernia or appendectomy operation. Stanley's left arm was previously fractured. He wore a partial upper denture plate at the time of his 1974 disappearance. Stanley's nicknames are Tommy and Tom.
Details of Disappearance
Stanley told his family members that he was in trouble and had to leave his home state of Ohio on September 17 or 18, 1974. He did not specify what the problem was at the time, but Stanley claimed he could never return to Ohio and was going to travel to Florida. He has never been seen again.
Stanley's green 1969 Fiat with the Ohio license plate number X1798H was discovered abandoned in the northbound lane of Interstate 95 in Kenly, North Carolina on September 23, 1974. All of his personal belongings were inside the vehicle, including his clothes, shoes, wallet and photo albums. The keys were still in the car's ignition at the time of discovery. There was no sign of Stanley at the scene.
The law enforcement officer who found the vehicle stated that there was no evidence of foul play. He felt that the Fiat had been abandoned for at least 48 hours by the time it was towed to Holland's Garage in Kenly. The vehicle was found to have a broken radiator hose while at the shop.
Stanley's family never filed a missing person's report with authorities. His parents worried that they would cause him more problems if they reported his disappearance. He has relatives in Ohio and West Virginia.
Stanley was declared legally deceased in 1981, seven years after he initially vanished. There has not been any activity on his Social Security number since 1974.
- Athens County Sheriff's Department 740-593-6633