Janice Elizabeth Norat
Norat, circa 1990; Age-progression to age 49 (circa 2007)
- Missing Since 06/19/1990
- Missing From Lakeland, Florida
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race White
- Date of Birth 10/29/1957 (65)
- Age 32 years old
- Height and Weight 5'5 - 5'8, 125 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A white shirt and blue slacks.
- Medical Conditions Norat was depressed at the time of her June 1990 disappearance.
- Associated Vehicle(s) 1982 Ford Fairlane (accounted for)
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Black hair, brown eyes. Norat is of Italian descent. She has a wart removal scar on the upper right corner of her lip and may have additional wart removal scars on the top of one hand. Norat's maiden name is Duval.
Details of Disappearance
Norat was employed as a landscaper in the Merchants Walk complex in the 3600 block of south Florida Avenue in Lakeland, Florida. She told her employer that she needed to pick up her daughter, who was at summer day camp, for a doctor's appointment during the morning of June 19, 1990.
She was last seen departing from work at approximately 8:30 a.m. She never picked up her child and has not been heard from again.
Her 1982 Ford Fairlane was discovered locked and abandoned in the Albertson's Grocery Store parking lot on June 22, 1990. The business is in the 3600 block of South Florida Avenue, adjacent to the Merchant's Walk complex. There was no sign of Norat at the scene.
One of Norat's daughters believes the occult may have played a role in her mother's disappearance. Her daughter stated she never saw her mother performing occult rituals or wearing robes, but she found several pentagrams in the house after Norat went missing.
Norat's other daughter believes her mother left of her own accord due to the stresses in her life. Authorities, however, believe she was the victim of a homicide.
Authorities said that Norat's husband died in a car accident a few months before her disappearance. At the time of her disappearance, she may have been carrying up to $20,000 in insurance money. She also left behind thousands of dollars in her bank account and never claimed the money.
Norat had a close relationship with her two daughters in 1990. She resided in the 2200 block of Weber Street in Lakeland. Norat was previously employed as a certified nurse's aide. Authorities stated they found significant new evidence in her case in 2007, but her case remains unsolved.
- Lakeland Police Department 863-834-8950
Updated 4 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated July 7, 2019; details of disappearance updated.