Janice L. Beck
Beck, circa 1999 (two years prior to her disappearance)
- Missing Since 09/12/2001
- Missing From Tacoma, Washington
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race White
- Date of Birth 05/18/1949 (74)
- Age 52 years old
- Height and Weight 5'8 - 5'9, 240 - 270 pounds
- Medical Conditions Beck has knee and vision problems and also suffers from diabetes, arthritis and bipolar disorder.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Gray/white hair, blue eyes. Beck is supposed to wear eyeglasses but did not have them with her at the time of her disappearance. Her nickname is Jan.
Details of Disappearance
Beck was a patient at Western State Mental Hospital in Lakewood, Washington, a suburb of Tacoma, when she vanished on September 12, 2001. She has never been heard from again. Authorities believe she would be unable to walk far on her own, as her health was poor at the time she disappeared.
The hospital did not notify Beck's family she was missing until five weeks after she was last seen. Someone not known to her family later told the Social Security Administration at the Beck had died, and listed her date of death of February 22, 2002, but investigators have been unable to locate a death certificate so Beck continues to be listed as missing. Her disappearance remains unsolved.
- Pierce County Sheriff's Office
Updated 2 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated November 2, 2010; alternate height added.