Jared Michael Negrete
Jared, circa 1991
- Missing Since 07/19/1991
- Missing From San Bernardino County, California
- Classification Lost/Injured Missing
- Sex Male
- Race Hispanic
- Date of Birth 09/11/1978 (44)
- Age 12 years old
- Height and Weight 5'2, 150 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A tan t-shirt (possibly Boy Scout style), green Boy Scout pants and black high-top Pro Wings sneakers.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Hispanic male. Black hair, brown eyes. Jared has a small birthmark on his right cheek. He wears eyeglasses with brown plastic frames.
Details of Disappearance
Jared was on a camping trip with his Boy Scout troop in San Bernardino County, California on July 19, 1991. The troop and their adult scoutmaster were hiking to the summit of San Gorgonio Mountain, which is 11,500 feet high.
Jared became tired about 1,000 feet from the top and was told to remain behind alone while the others completed the hike. When the Scout troop returned, he was gone. He has never been seen again. He was carrying a blue two-quart canteen full of water at the time of his disappearance.
His camera was located during an extensive search of the area. It was loaded and included landscape shots and an apparent self-portrait which showed only Jared's nose and eyes.
No other sign of Jared was found on the mountain. Authorities stated there was sufficient water on the mountain and the temperatures were warm enough to allow him to survive unaided for several days.
Mount San Gorgonio is approximately 90 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Jared's family is from El Monte, California, and he was in the eighth grade at the time of his disappearance. His case remains unsolved.
- San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department 909-387-3690
Updated 4 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated February 23, 2019; picture added.