Jason Roy Henderson
Henderson, circa 2002; Henderson's tattoo
- Missing Since 08/14/2002
- Missing From Mahukona, Hawaii
- Classification Lost/Injured Missing
- Sex Male
- Race Biracial, Black, White
- Date of Birth 03/31/1972 (51)
- Age 30 years old
- Height and Weight 5'11, 180 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description Red surfing shorts with a black stripe on the side and a pocket secured with velcro, a wedding band with yellow gold trim outlined with white gold, and no shirt.
- Associated Vehicle(s) 12-foot blue, green and yellow Seahawk Zodiac raft with an outboard two-horse Honda motor and the name "Angel Pudding" written on the outboard end in front of the motor mount in black pen
- Distinguishing Characteristics Biracial (African-American/Caucasian) male. Dark brown hair, brown eyes. Henderson's nicknames are Hendu, Jay, Ja-Bo, Bird, and Birdman. He has a tattoo of a ram's head, the Aries sign, on his upper right arm. A photo of the tattoo is shown below this case summary. Henderson wears reading glasses.
Details of Disappearance
Henderson was last seen by his wife at 10:00 a.m. August 14, 2002, as he left to go fishing approximately half a mile off the coast of the big island in Hawaii.
He took his Seahawk Zodiac raft out of Mahukona Harbor to fish in the ocean. It is described as twelve feet long, blue and green and yellow in color, with an outboard two-horse Honda motor. The name Angel Pudding is written on the outboard end of the raft, in front of the outboard motor mount, with black Marsh pen.
On the raft was a military camouflage Camel Pack with water on board, a red diving floater, two fishing poles, MRE packages, two black and white oars, and a red air pump. Henderson also carried his cellular phone, wallet, and keys in the pocket of his surfing shorts. Other fishermen saw him on the water at approximately 6:00 p.m. He has never been heard from again.
When Henderson did not return by 10:00 p.m. as planned, his family notified authorities and a search was launched. There had been a strong current that day. No sign of Henderson or his belongings were ever found, in spite of a massive search effort involving the U.S. Coast Guard.
Henderson is a 1990 graduate of Norton High School in Norton, Ohio, and went on to serve ten years in the U.S. Army's Special Forces. He graduated from the University of Hawaii as a commissioned officer through its ROTC program in May 2002.
He was a second lieutenant in the Hawaii National Guard at the time of his disappearance, and was scheduled to go to Georgia for military training in October 2002. Henderson left behind two children. His wife has since remarried. He is believed to have become lost at sea.
- Kona Police Station 808-326-4203
Updated 3 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated July 9, 2012; picture added, details of disappearance updated.