Jessi Machell Short
Short, circa 2013
- Missing Since 01/27/2013
- Missing From Shenango Township, Pennsylvania
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Female
- Race White
- Age 25 years old
- Height and Weight 5'2, 130 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A long-sleeved white terrycloth blouse, a dark-colored hooded sweatshirt, blue jeans and gray work boots.
- Medical Conditions Short is addicted to opiates and crack cocaine; she had been to rehabilitation seven times, but would always relapse. She also suffers from seizures due to a prior head and neck injury.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Short may use the last name Brumley-Short.
Details of Disappearance
Short was last seen when she spent a few nights at her mother's home in Shenango Township, Pennsylvania on January 27, 2013. She has never been heard from again. She was severely addicted to drugs at the time of her disappearance and had been trying to quit for years, but always relapsed.
Prior to her disappearance, Short occasionally engaged in prostitution on the South Side and project areas of Shenango to support her drug habit. She has stayed at a motel near Pulaski Township and Coitsville, Ohio in the past. She also frequents Pittsburgh, Allegheny County and Butler County, Pennsylvania. She has warrants out for her arrest for misdemeanors.
Short doesn't drive and either walks or depends on others for rides. It's not uncharacteristic of him to drop out of sight for as long as a few weeks at a time, but she's never been gone for this long. She is missing under unclear circumstances, but due to her lifestyle she's considered to be at risk. She left behind a two-year-old son.
Since her disappearance, her mother and the police have gotten tips that Short was killed, including accounts by people who supposedly witnessed her death. Supposedly, she was with a group of seven to ten people, either at El Rio Beach or somewhere near the Neshannock Creek, and she was killed by some of the people in that group and her body thrown in the river. These stories have not been confirmed.
Her case remains unsolved.
- Shenango Township Police Department 724-654-2243
Updated 2 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated January 31, 2020; picture added, medical conditions and details of disappearance updated.