John David Smith
Smith, circa 2001
- Missing Since 02/15/2001
- Missing From Springfield, Missouri
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Date of Birth 03/07/1947 (76)
- Age 53 years old
- Height and Weight 5'8, 180 pounds
- Associated Vehicle(s) Black 1990 Ford Aerostar Van (accounted for)
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, green eyes. Smith's nicknames are Tom and Tommy.
Details of Disappearance
Smith was last seen in Springfield, Missouri on February 15, 2001. His girlfriend, Maureen Webb, disappeared the day after he did. She was last seen driving her black 1990 Ford Aerostar Van after leaving her home; the vehicle was subsequently found abandoned at a local mall.
In 2006, Richard L. Evans was charged with first-degree murder in the presumed deaths of Webb and Smith. His wife, Thenia S. Evans, was also charged with murder as well as evidence tampering. She allegedly witnessed the murders and helped clean up afterward. Smith and Webb were reportedly shot to death and their bodies dismembered, possibly fed to pigs, and burned.
A search of Richard's property turned up bone fragments and a spent shell casing, but the case against him and his sister fell apart after a crucial witness refused to testify.
Foul play is suspected in Smith and Webb's disappearances due to the circumstances involved.
- Missouri State Highway Patrol
- Missing Persons Unit
Updated 3 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated September 9, 2017; middle name, height and weight added, distinguishing characteristics updated.