John Haywood Barreto
Barreto, circa 1977
- Missing Since 01/20/1977
- Missing From Miami, Florida
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Male
- Race White
- Date of Birth 09/21/1941 (81)
- Age 35 years old
- Height and Weight 6'2, 185 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description Unknown, but he usually wore solid-color shirts and blue jeans. He didn't usually wear a belt or any jewelry.
- Medical Conditions Barreto suffers from mental illness. He is classified as disabled.
- Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, blue eyes. Barreto may shave his head, wear a crew cut or grow his hair long. His facial hair is red and he may wear a beard. He has an appendectomy scar on his abdomen, a prominent scar down his right arm, and a burn scar covering most of the left side of his chest.
Details of Disappearance
Barreto was last known to be in Miami, Florida. His family wired him some money on January 20, 1977, and this is the last contact they had with him.
Barreto developed a mental problem after he experimented with LSD while serving in the Army. His mental illness caused him to travel aimlessly when the weather was warm. He was receiving disability payments at the time of his disappearance; the money would be deposited in an account his mother had access to and he would call her and ask her to send him some as he needed it.
Few details are available in Barreto's case. Lake Oswego, Oregon police are investigating.
- Lake Oswego, Oregon Police Department
Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated August 7, 2010; casefile added.