Jose Javier Cruz
Cruz, circa 2006
- Missing Since 05/19/2006
- Missing From Houston, Texas
- Classification Endangered Missing
- Sex Male
- Race Hispanic
- Date of Birth 10/14/1971 (51)
- Age 34 years old
- Height and Weight 6'1, 150 pounds
- Clothing/Jewelry Description A t-shirt, denim shorts, brown sandals and a black Dynamos hat.
- Associated Vehicle(s) 2005 Chevrolet pickup truck (accounted for)
- Distinguishing Characteristics Hispanic male. Black hair, brown eyes. Cruz has a birthmark on the right side of his lower back and tattoos on both upper arms. He has scars on his forehead, shoulder, upper right arm and back. One of his ears is pierced.
Details of Disappearance
Cruz was last heard from when he last talked to family members at his home in the 10300 block of Huntington Place in Houston, Texas on May 19, 2006. He told his ex-wife he was going to pick up their children from school, but never arrived there. He has not been heard from since.
At 4:00 a.m. on May 20, a 2005 Chevrolet pickup truck belonging to Cruz's ex-wife was found burning in the 1200 block of Pin Oak in Katy, Texas. Katy is about thirty miles from Houston. The truck was engulfed in flames by the time firefighters arrived at the scene and was a total loss.
Cruz was the last person known to have driven the vehicle; his ex-wife had given him permission to borrow it. A search of the area surrounding the burning truck turned up no signs of him. Investigators believe the truck fire was deliberately set, possibly using an accelerant.
Cruz has not answered his cellular phone since his disappearance. Foul play is possible in his case. His father is the coach for the Houston Astros, a major league baseball team, and his brother plays for another baseball team, the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Cruz has a criminal record for theft and assault and has been incarcerated twice, and at the time of his disappearance he was wanted on criminal charges in Puerto Rico. He is reported to be estranged from his family.
Cruz's ex-wife stated he had left home before, once taking her car without permission, but the two maintained a working relationship and he always kept in touch with her and their children. His case remains unsolved.
- Houston Police Department 832-394-1872
Updated 2 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated December 28, 2017; distinguishing characteristics updated.